Time capsule as just backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jakesaunders27, Dec 10, 2012.

1. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Hi
    Thinking of getting a 2TB time capsule for my bedroom to backup my MacBook air and mac mini to with time machine, however I don't want to have to connect to a separate network (which would be this new time capsule) I want to stay on the current one which is our existing time capsule downstairs. Is there anyway I can link my new one to the existing one so I just bypass the new ones wirless and just have backup? Sorry if that sounds confusing

Cheers
    Jake

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Why not get 2TB external HDD and connect it to your existing TC's USB port? Are you intending to extend your current network? If not, there's no point getting another Time Capsule.

3. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

its my dads for all his computers i want one just for my computers and i dont have any wired access in my bedroom so i would be able to use it as a switch as well

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Oh, in that case you could set it up to join the existing network. You'll be able to use the Ethernet ports to hardwire other devices too. Be warned though that your Time Capsule's disk will be visible to others on the network, so you may want to setup filesharing security on your TC's HDD to prevent others from using it as well.

5. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

okay thanks can i do that in the airport utility?

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yup. I think there's a Disks tab (I'm not at my Mac, so going from memory) to setup filesharing and security.

7. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

thanks one last question say if i did want to have wireless from my time capsule can it still be used as a bridge? or would it then become seperate from our existing network. and would people on the guest network still be able to stream to my apple tv which would be connected to the normal network? cheers

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

I think you'll lose the ability to create a separate network. I have little experience with this setup, so maybe this document from Apple will be better help:
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_AirPort_Networks_Early2009.pdf

From what I gather, you won't be able to create a separate SSID, nor will you be able to create a separate network. It will be a bridge that uses the same SSID and password as your main network to extend it.

9. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Ok thanks so much for your help much appreciated :)

10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I use TCs as nodes on my network... and only use them for backup. They are attached to the main router (Airport Extreme) via ethernet cable.

Settings:

Internet: DHCP
    Wireless: Off
    Network: Off (Bridge Mode)

Users on your guess network do not see the Time Capsules. The purpose of a guest network is to provide internet connectivity... but not connectivity to your local area network.

/Jim

11. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27