Time Capsule as media storage, Airport Express and some issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dec., Aug 14, 2012.

1. dec. Suspended

dec.

Hi,
    does anyone have any experiences with a similar setup?

I've transferred my library to the time capsule, which also serves as wifi router and time machine backup device. The audio streams to a wirelessly connected Airport Express. I've had a lot of issues so far, the music stops playing after a few songs, on my Macbook Air I have to switch the airplay off and back on, then it usually starts playing again, apparently this is a common issue - with no solution. I've replaced the old Airport Express with the newest, same problems.
    Also time capsule cannot be found once a while by the Macbook Air, time machine gives me an error "disk not formatted in mac filesystem", an hour later and it will work fine again. And finally iTunes randomly does not find the songs from one minute to another, but then they are back. I don't have the usual question mark issue at startup, it seems more like a temporary hardware failure.

Basically my question is: Is it a bad idea in first place to use the time capsule drive space as storage for active iTunes playback? Would this explain the issues that I'm having? Right now I'm pretty close to giving up and copy all the music back onto a regular external hard drive, set up an old PC in the living room, hardwired to the stereo. At least I can use the remote app with itunes and don't need a monitor, but I still have a hard time to believe that my original setup was a bad idea in first place.

By the way, the old airport express was working absolutely perfect for a year with a dell laptop and then from one day to another issues came up more and more. Cutouts, dropped connection etc. . The problem of having to switch airplay off and back on obviously only began once I replaced the dell with a Macbook Air.

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Are the computers your are streaming to connected wirelessly or with ethernet?

3. dec. thread starter Suspended

dec.

they are connected to the wifi.

so right now the setup would be:

music files are stored on the time capsule -> macbook air plays back those files via wifi, sends them via airplay to the airport express which is hooked up per cable to the stereo system.

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Wifi and where Your devices are placed might be the source of Your problem