Time Capsule as router, NAS and TM backup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Damstas, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Damstas macrumors member

Hi.

I understand that the Time Capsule is intended to be used as router and Time Machine backup.
    Is there a possibility to partion or do something, that it could both TM backup and be used as storage, where I could put files and pull them back to Mac? Basically video files, which I would not store on Macbook Pro.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You manage the TC's disk via the airport utility and AFAIK, there's no mechinism to partition the drive. I suppose you can use the same partition for Time Machine and storing your files.

Personally, if you want NAS functionality, then you'll be better off with an actual NAS, something from Synology or Qnap.

3. Damstas thread starter macrumors member

Ok thx for the answer. I will think about the NAS. Can iTunes for example stream video files from the NAS?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I really wouldn't recommend using the Time Capsule as anything other than a backup device and wifi distribution router. You CAN partition it but it's really better to just buy a cheap external....even the 2TB green drives will happily stream music and video via airplay.

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I've used the Time Capsule internal drive for backups and connect one or two USB drives to the TC for file sharing and storage for several years without issue. The current TC is sweet.

I also listened to the NAS fanboys and picked up a synology NAS and found the TimeCapsule is much easier to use and offers superior performance for typical home use.

There are more advanced and unique situations where a NAS may be more useful (like more than 10TB of storage), but a MacOS server (on perhaps a mini) is typically a much better solution for those cases as it supportsTM backups, file sharing, video streaming, iTunes seamlessly.

6. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

The Time Capsule internal drive can't be partitioned without removing it from the device, and even then it's debatable whether you could get it to work correctly with Time Machine backups.

However, I agree with ColdCase that a USB external drive plugged into the TC is a very useful setup. I've been doing it with a USB flash drive to share small files around my network.

For basic, simple needs, I think a TC+external USB is great. The biggest potential problem is performance -- the TC isn't very fast for this use. However, I believe I've read others' postings that they were able to play movie files over their network from the TC, but I haven't tried it myself.

If you just want to store and retrieve files and don't care much how long it takes, it should work fine.

REMEMBER, though, that any files you store on any drive attached to the TC cannot be backed up by Time Machine! You must keep a copy somewhere else or risk losing them to a drive failure.