Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
So, lets say I want to use Time Caspule as my backup etc, but would rather use my current Airport Extreme as the router. Is this possible w/o changing the current wifi settings?

I haven't yet installed my Time Caspule, but when I do will it prompt to setup as the dedicated router? And how would I avoid this?

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
So, lets say I want to use Time Caspule as my backup etc, but would rather use my current Airport Extreme as the router. Is this possible w/o changing the current wifi settings?

I haven't yet installed my Time Caspule, but when I do will it prompt to setup as the dedicated router? And how would I avoid this?

Screwed up the title. Should read Airport Extreme as the dedicated router:rolleyes:

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
Perhaps you could bridge them, and make it one big single network?

I dont really see the benefit of having one be dedicated over the other, unless you were trying to restrict access to the files or something. In which case, you could have it broadcast a separate network, with password protection, which would only be used for backups...

my $.02

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You can use the Time Capsule to extend your wireless network, it's easy with AirPort Utility as it asks how would you like to use it. You can also set it so that TC is only used for backups i.e. disable the internet connection on it (also an option when setting it up)

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
It's rather easy to set the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode and allow the AEBS to handle DHCP. You'll be able to use the Time Capsule as a secondary access point, creating another SSID for your network. Or you can even turn the wireless radio off entirely and have it connected as a device on your network.

In AirPort Utility, set Connection Sharing to Off (bridge mode) on your Time Capsule. Then configure the Wireless settings however you like. Afterwards, connect the TC's WAN port to one of the AEBS' LAN ports. In addition, you'll be able to use the TC's LAN ports to connect any wired devices (effectively gaining two LAN ports since you'll lose one on your AEBS to connect the TC).

Doing this will allow any computers connected to any SSID broadcast from either the AEBS or the TC to communicate with one another and to access the TC's HDD for backups.

This is how I had my TC set up before it bit the dust :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.