Time Capsule as Wireless Backup only

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by edtorious, May 21, 2014.

1. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

I recently purchased an Airport Extreme to replace my Time Capsule. Now I want to use my time capsule as a backup only but I still want to be able to backup on it wirelessly.

Without knowing what to do really, I just connected my Time Capsule to the back of the Airport Extreme thru the Ethernet LAN ports. I checked Airport Utility and Airport Extreme found the Time Capsule. I opened the Time Machine preference and selected a backup disk and it found the Time Capsule and I was able to backup wirelessly.

My only worries now is when I checked Airport Utility, the Time Capsule has status error messages, 1. Ethernet unplugged 2. No Internet connection 3. No DNS server. And it look like I can just select to Ignore it on the Airport Utility but is there some things I should be doing? Are there settings that I should be turning off in the Time Capsule? I don't need it as a router anymore, just a backup.

Ok, while I'm typing it up and the backup going, all of a sudden I lost my internet connection! So I guess that didn't work. :eek::rolleyes:

And so please advise. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Those warnings are just to remind you that the Time Capsule has no internet function now. since you are intentionally doing this, I think you can simply ignore those warnings.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

That's not going to work, as you found. You need to turn off routing on the TC (Bridge Mode I going it's called in the utility, I'm not on my home network so can't check easily). Also turn off wireless on the TC.

You'll be connecting wirelessly only to the Extreme, but the TC will still be a valid backup location in Time Machine.

4. edtorious thread starter macrumors 65816

edtorious

Thanks! This worked!