Time Capsule automatic periodic backup software

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Socio, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Socio macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

This year I bought 4 Mac computers for my company.

At the time it seemed very practical to use a Time Capsule to share files between the members of the company (we are just 4) and this way use it as backup and server.

As we use it as the company file server to share file between member, we found out that it would be needed to make backups every now and then (preferably on monthly basis).

I bought another normal external hard drive, plugged it into the time capsule and made the backup.

The problem of this thing is that:
    1. Time Capsule is not accesible when it is backing up by this method.
    2. The backup can take up to 2 days on our 1 TB Time Capsule.
    3. We can't schedule the backup so it repeats itself every week or month.

Posible Solution:
    I just thought I could backup the Time Capsule, using a regular Backup Utility that can backup external drives into another external drive.

Do you know a software that can backup external drives into another external drive and that you can schedule when to make the backups?

This would be the perfect solution for me.
    Just consider the Time Capsule as any other external hard drive and make a backup directly into another hard drive.

It would be great if this software knows how to detect the files that are modified or added and only perform changes on this ones to be more effective.

Thank you very much for your help. Hope that there is a solution for my challenge.

Best regards,

Socio :apple:

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I think, first of all, the Time Capsule is not the best solution for what you want. If you're going to need a small business file server with scheduled backup functions, you'd be far better off using a dedicated product like an HP or Acer Windows Home Server product or one of the several other NAS products on the market.

MacOS X Server could do it all for you as well; think about the new Mac mini server solutions (though a few hundred dollars more expensive than a WHS solution).

There are tons of solutions, and I'm sure others will post their favorites, but using the Time Capsule in this way - especially since duplication of the TC's drive is slow, not automated, not incremental and results in the files being offline while the manual backup runs - is not the product I would chosen for you.

Oh, and making backups only every month of your company's files is just asking for trouble, unless you can afford to lose a month's worth of work. Hell, even my home computer is backed up more frequently than that (Time Machine does hourly incremental backups).