Time Capsule Automatically assigns Drive Letters....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gpspad, Jan 3, 2017.

1. gpspad macrumors 6502

I realize this is a Mac/Apple site, but I also have a windows machine and having trouble setting my Time Capsule up with it or should I say keep the drives off the windows machines.

I am running time capsule with 3TB to back up my macs. While setting up my windows 7 machine, figured it might be a good idea to add the airport windows utility to it, just so I can get into the wireless network if my mac ever goes down. It all setup fine, but the windows utility now assigns the time capsules drive Y and Z.

I'd like to be able to change that, as i don't have any use for the windows computer to see the time capsules. But no combination of dismounting them keeps them from coming back. Anyway to change the drive letters or switch off the windows machine from mounting the drives?

2. gpspad thread starter macrumors 6502

I figured this out, just in case anyone else ever has this issue.

The airport utility puts runs a small program at start up on the task bar. There is an option there to mount the drives at start up, turn that off and the drives are not mounted.

No idea how manually assign the drive letters, but took the airport utility mounting the time capsule drives at start up.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Apple doesn't assign drive letters within Windows, that is done by Windows itself.

If you don't know MacOS in BSD Unix so in a Unix environment aa user must 'mount' a drive to be able to use it. Windows NT does something similar now but the older code has to mount a share and NT assigns a drive letter to any share with it's operating system.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. AirPort Utility includes a helper utility that mounts drives. You can however manually mount drives by going to Computer in File Explorer and using the "Map Network Drive" or "Mount Network Location" wizards.