Time Capsule back up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lesj, Apr 28, 2013.

1. lesj macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook about 4 years old. 250gb memory which is so full I cannot update to Mountain Lion so am using snow Leopard 10.6.8

I bought a Time Capsule 2tb and tried to back up before deleting to make space.
    After 36 hours I am nowhere. after starting the full back up the programme stopped several times with the message "The backup was not performed because an error occurred while copying files to the backup disc". I went to disc utility and actioned "Repair disc Permissions" several times. I also actioned "verify Disk".
    When I try to reenter the Time Capsule to see what I have it states in progress. So cannot see anything.
    Has anyone any idea of what I am not doing or what the problem is? The packaging states that you just plug and go. Not so.
    any help?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try this.

Stop the backup and reformat the external drive. Make sure you format to Mac OS Extended in Disk Util. Then run Verify Disk in Disk Util to make sure there are no errors.

Then force a Spotlight reindex pasting the command below in Terminal and hit enter.

Wait until the Spotlight reindex is done and try again.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /