Time Capsule - Backup and Storage?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Adapsys, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Adapsys macrumors member

Adapsys

Just a quick question... looking at getting a time capsule and wondered if I can use it for both backup (time machine) and storage i.e. put my itunes library on it etc for sharing?

Seems like you can't as time machine wants to format the drive.

Thanks in advance!

2. yaroldb macrumors 6502

Yep, you sure can. I use it for my storage and my back ups. I am not sure about your iTunes. I use it as a back up for my MBP and store my Lightroom Catolouges on it. The back up shows as a file. You do not really need to partion the drive (not sure you can without pulling the drive out).

Hope that helps.

3. osin macrumors 6502

I don't have a Time Capsule but I use Time Machine. Time Machine allows me to copy anything on the drive where it keeps its backups, so you shouldn't have a problem...

4. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Does Time Machine make Airport Express Redundant?

I was thinking of getting an Airport Express to handle my wireless internet and wireless printing needs but was thinking perhaps all that can be consolidated into a Time Machine Drive. Is there any reason to get an Airport if you get the Time Machine unit? Thanks.

5. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

There is no need to purchase an Airport of any sorts if you purchase a Time Machine unit. It handles both router and backup drive all in one. Or purchase an Airport and a separate external drive.

6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Anyone think there's a good chance of a 2TB model coming out reasonably soon (like Apple would give any indication regardless :rolleyes: ). I'd love to get one but would find a 1.5 or 2TB model far more useful as I've got an internal 320GB + 130GB drive to backup plus external drives of 500GB, 300GB, 200GB & 100GB to think about. If I add another drive thats in the 1+TB range it sort of makes Time Capsule less than ideal.

Still I'm considering going for the 1TB TC but will be pissed if a 2TB unit comes out relatively soon. Perhaps going Airport Express and using a dedicated external drive for TM would be a much better approach.

7. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Yes, the Time Machine can be used for both. It CANNOT be partitioned however, unless you crack it open and put the HD in another enclosure for the partitioning (definitely not supported).

Only benefit of an Airport Express would be AirTunes.

And for added storage, remember that not only can you plug a USB 2.0 hard drive into the port on the Time Capsule, but you can plug a hub into the port and add multiple external drives for increased space.

8. meing3 macrumors newbie

Question..for airtunes to work on a express does the airport express have to be connected to the internet?

9. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

10. Macowner2 macrumors newbie

Upgrading Time Capsule

Good morning all, sorry if I'm off track to the thread.

On upgrading the :apple: Time Capsule mine is one of the new 2 radio breed. But had the 500Gb HD in , the only one in stock at my local Apple branch.

Do a backup of the existing Sparsebundles.

First having unpacked the new HD it is a Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB 32MB SATA/300 Hard Drive. (£163 over here)

For some unknown reason when put in the Capsule it couldn't be seen (instant panic), after a cold beer and coming back down to earth. I took the HD out of the capsule and fitted it in a Iomega, a capsule look alike external HD, fired it up on the iMac, true it was empty but no format, so went into disc utility formatted it then transfered it back to the time capsule.

I suppose I could have transfered the laptop & imac Time machine sparsebundles, but I elected to leave them on the NAS and start again. Oh do link up with a ethernet cable first time, its quicker.

The new HD did not have such a deep depression near the disc centre where the temperature sensor fitted as the old HD so I stuck it on the side as close as possible to the bearing.

The new HD runs quieter and noticeably cooler than original 500GB. Also considerably cheaper than :apple: 1TB let alone any 2TB in the pipeline.

Hope this helps
    Kind rgds to all.

11. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Very cool post! Nice to know it can be upgraded and works well.

I've been looking at the TC at several stores and then noticed on the website that there's a few "new" features such as SIMULTANEOUS DUAL BAND WI-FI and GUEST NETWORKING. Was the TC updated at some point? How can you tell if the TC you're buying is has those 2 new features or not? I've been looking at the boxes and they don't seem to mention either feature.

TIME CAPSULE w/ "new" features

12. skorpien macrumors 68020

The Time Capsules were updated to Dual Band along with the AEBS March 3rd, 2009. The old TCs had model numbers of MB276LL/A and MB277LL/A for the 500GB and 1TB models respectively while the new ones are MB764LL/A and MB765LL/A.

13. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

This one I have in my hands right now is MB277 AM/A
    Looks like its an old 1 TB model (2008)...not sure why its AM instead of LL though.

14. Macowner2 macrumors newbie

Upgrading Time Capsule, more to chew on

Hi all
    Yes I do have the latest model capsule with the last firmware update.
    One extra point you should note, or whether its a quirk in mine not covered in the manual is.
    I don't display my SSID for obvious reasons, with the WPA/personal code set.
    However if on the setup you fill in the Guest part of the set up, any one within range can see your net although they have to have the password.
    This is not a logical move to me.:( I would have thought the SSID was hidden.
    But I discovered if you go back to the setup in Utilities and leave the guest page blank All works as expected.

15. skorpien macrumors 68020

I didn't realize you were a fellow Canadian. I used the U.S. model numbers since that's what most everyone uses. The AM just means it's the Canadian model. No real difference other than the fact you bought it either in Canada or from the Canadian Apple Store online.

16. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Thanks for your help w/ the codes....ya turns out I was sold the old model (thus the lower price $499) from London Drugs....I took it back and they found the new one (w/ dual band) in the back and I exchanged it although I had to pay the difference (about $60 w/ tax). meh
    Normally I don't buy things like this from London Drugs but it was an impulse buy at that lower price...there's nothing on either package to differentiate the new from the old except for the model number on the bottom sticker.