Time Capsule backup speed crippled?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ajthomason, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ajthomason macrumors 6502

I now have a 1TB Time Capsule sitting on my desk. It is plugged into my MPB using a Cat5e cable, and both the laptop and TC are capable of a Gigabit connection...

Can anyone tell me why, when I tell time machine to do a backup (in this case, the first backup), iStat Menus tells me that it is backing up at about 500KB/s? To test my theory and prove that my TC is not useless, I decided to copy a 4GB file manually to the TC's hard drive - that one was happy to copy at 12MB/s!

Can someone please tell me why I have to wait for 2 days for a 100GB drive to backup when a 4GB file will copy in 5 mins. I am not doing anything else on the network, it just seems clear that Apple have crippled the TCs speed, even over ethernet... What on earth is the point?!

2. splott macrumors newbie

I'm right in the middle (correction: right at the beginning) of a first backup right now on a 1TB Time Capsule. I'm wishing I'd found your post beforehand and connected via ethernet rather than wirelessly, though I don't know as it would make much difference. According to iStat, the upload speed is jumping around anywhere between 1KB/s and 1.5MB/s. 2 days to backup 100GB? Sh*t. I've got 260GB to backup. So far it's been going 2 and a half hours and has only managed 6GB. This is ludicrous. What gives?

3. ajthomason thread starter macrumors 6502

I was connected by ethernet, it eventually picked up after an hour or so and made it to 8MB/s, so just give it a while (and don't use it too much!)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Time Capsule is slow and has always been. That is normal speeds for a TC.

5. splott macrumors newbie

Well 21 hours on and it's backed up almost 90GB. Only another 170 to go ...

I discovered another thread on the subject -- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=379066 -- so checked out Console. Little Snitch was interfering, so stopped it. Also turned off Spotlight for the external Firewire 800 HDD. After making no discernible difference for a few hours after, it's now picked up a little and is averaging about 2 to 2.5MB/s.

If I'd used Superduper to clone the two drives it would have been done in 3 hours or so. Time Machine had better be worth it after all this. Is it?