Time Capsule Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Syntheso, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Syntheso macrumors newbie

Hey,

I just completed my first Time Capsule backup and it says 'Latest Backup: Yesterday", which implies it was successful. However, I have used 300GB of HD space on the computer I backed up, whereas the Time Capsule is only at 150GB used.. how can this be?

Thanks.

2. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Just back it up again if you are uncertain? :)

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Do you have any folders added to your "Do not back up" list in Time Machine preferences? Do you have a Windows partition on your HDD?

Time Machine will not back up any folders in the exceptions list, nor will it back up any partitions used for Windows or other OS installations (any non Mac partitions).

4. hafr macrumors 68030

The file size of the TM backup isn't always correct for some reason. If you mount the backup volume (just click on the Time Machine icon, choose Enter Time Machine, press cancel to exit it) and then verify that disk in Disk Utility (Utilities > Disk Utility > Verify Disk) you will get the correct size of your backup under the title Used in the bottom right corner of the window.

Another possibility is that you're actually using a lot less space than you think. Click the Apple logo in the upper left corner, About this mac, More info, Storage. How big is the "Backup" section here?

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I do not know if TM/TC uses any de-dup technology. If you have duplicate files, then it is possible only one copy is being stored.

Examples of this being significant include importing photos into iPhoto or Aperture libraries and keeping originals. Likewise, importing music into iTunes and keeping originals might have the same affect.

Not all backup programs have de-dup... and I have no idea if TM/TC does.

/Jim