Time Capsule bandwidth drop during backups

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by netnothing, Mar 31, 2008.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I've read reports of the bandwidth dropping considerably on the Time Capsule while a backup is taking place (not the initial backup, I'm talking during the hourly backups).

Has anyone experienced this? And if so, does anyone know:

1) Does the bandwidth drop on just the computer doing the backup?
    2) Is it just the wireless bandwidth? Or does the wired bandwidth drop also?

Thanks.

-Kevin

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Wireless bandwidth is shared, so any load on the wireless will obviously degrade speeds for everyone else connected. I don't have a Time Capsule myself but that's my conjecture on what people might be experiencing. Not sure if people are having these problems over wired connections.

3. ljones macrumors regular

I've done backups while working, and most of the time I never notice any change. Although I have yet been able to connect my girlfriends laptop to the network to test multiple wireless devices, damn PCs.

Hmmm, actually i did get booted from the internet while playing Smash Bros on my Wii last night. I never thought about a potential backup running while playing, but i think that may have been Nintendo's servers. Imight try that one day to see what happens.