Time Capsule Bridge Setup for 2 wireless networks?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sparkiUK, Aug 21, 2008.

1. sparkiUK macrumors newbie

I'm so confused you won't believe, read loads of posts on here, and spent hours at the so called Genius bar and still can't get setup right.

I have a windows PC, connected via ethernet cable to a netgear DG834GT wireless modem/router. From the wireless netgear i have a windows PC wirelessly connecting ('G' connection not 'N') to it and the internet, as well as this Macbook Pro also connecting wirelessly to the net.

Now what i want to do is connect my time machine to the Netgear, i guess via a cable and then access the internet and timecapsule via the timecapsule, not the netgear so i can perform backups, use web etc. The wireless connected windows PC also needs to connect to the net also.

The current setup done at genius bar is to bridge the network so that when i turn airport on i connect to the timecapsule, but i notice the windows pc cannot connect at all, and only see the timecapsule, not the netgear signal, which is still turned on.

Can someone advise the best setup and settings as this is driving me nuts?

Help much appreciated.

From a MAC noob

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Replace the Netgear with the Time Capsule. All systems will be able to connect and access the internet.

TEG

3. sparkiUK thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't replace the netgear as this is also my modem

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Didn't realize. It is rare to have something like that in the states, that is not owned by the ISP.

So do this,

Disable Wireless on the Netgear. Connect the TC from a LAN port on the Netgear to the WAN port on the TC. Put the TC into "bridge mode" (so the Netgear is responsible for DHCP and NAT. Then any wired systems can be connected to either the Netgear or the TC. If you want to have anyone on the Netgear connect to the TC, then you must enable disk sharing over WAN port.

I say disable Wireless on the Netgear to reduce interference, but you could also set the TC into N only, 5Ghz mode, keep the Netgear in b/g mode and have a wireless N connection setup for you Mac.

TEG

5. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

As long as we're on this subject, can someone explain quickly to the network-uneducated what bridge mode is?

Thanks in advance.

6. RevK macrumors member

From the Wikipedia article on bridge mode (best explanation:

In my case, I have a Time Capsule and a modem... and if the Airport is in Bridge Mode, then it makes the modem/gateway assign DHCP IP addresses instead of the Time Capsule. Hope that makes sense. :rolleyes:

7. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

Yes, it does. Here's one more question then. In the Itunes + Ipod forum, I posted a question about getting my iphone to work with my imac's itune's library via a modem and time capsule. It can be seen here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=548551

Could the fact that my time capsule is not in bridge mode be the problem? And based on the above referenced post, is there a way to make the whole affair as described in that post more efficient, i.e. a better layout than I currently have it?

And once again, thanks in advance. :confused:

8. sparkiUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this, think i tried that before with the netgear wireless left on in b/g mode, and the timecapsule bridged also in b/g/n mode. But problem i had was all computers in the house still only had access to the timecapsule only, and no longer the netgear, but i need them to have access to both so not sure why the netgear didn't show up. Unless the timecapsule over-rides the netgear signal?? This is why i get so confused

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

the time capsule overrides the netgear signal, since it's in bridge mode. you cant have bridge mode between two routers and two separate networks. bridge mode bridges a single network, sometimes for the purposes of extending the range.

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Why do you need access to the Netgear? If everything is connected to the TC, don't they also see the Internet since bridge mode is on? Why put the TC in b/g/n mode? Put it into 5Ghz, n/a only mode so only those n devices will connect to it, and everything else will connect to the Netgear.

Have you EVER worked with a wireless network? Your statement is complete crap. You can certainly have two different wireless networks using bridge mode, as bridge mode just disables the DHCP server in the TC, allowing the Netgear to do all the IP assignments and the NAT work for the network.

TEG