Time Capsule, but not...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NeGRit0, Oct 30, 2008.

1. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

I want a Time Capsule, but they are just too damn expensive! Anyone know of any other wireless external hard drives that work well with :apple:? preferably on that has the capability to be a wireless basestation, but that's not essential.

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

When I was looking the nearest I found was a Lacie Ethernet Big Disc, I got one and tried it out, it was Ok and worked, but I sent it back and got the Time Capsule, which is perfect :D

I got the 500GB and will upgrade with a drive of my choice when the warranty expires, hopefully I can get a 2GB by then :cool:

3. Jimmyz macrumors regular

I believe you can buy an AirPort Extreme and connect an external HD to the AE via USB and then mount it as a network drive. But, AirPort extreme (179.00) + external HD with decent space (100.00) will cost 280, which is only 20 bucks less than a 500 gb Time Capsule. So my recommendation is if you really want it, might as well spend a few extra bucks and do it right with a Time Capsule.

4. NeGRit0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

I apologize but i was wanting the 1TB model. as my Blackbook has a 250Gb HD and is already full.

5. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

You could do what I did. Buy it new on ebay and use the live.com cashback option. I picked up 1TB for $281 shipped. It should be here next week.

6. NeGRit0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Do you have a link? i just looked on there and cheapest i saw the 1TB is like $470... :confused:

----------------
    Now playing on iTunes: Nas - On The Real
    via FoxyTunes

7. macaco74 macrumors regular

8. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

9. NeGRit0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

those are 500gb not the 1tb, but thanks...

oh, i guess im just confused as to how you bought it from ebay but still used the live.com cash back. i apologize for my ignorance, but i have never used live.com.

10. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Fair question. Go to live.com. Search "time capsule" The advertisement will say "Save 25% with PayPal if eligible" Eligible = BIN items. Works on any BIN purchase.

Read here if you have more questions.
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=952519

I can confirm this works. I bought some things on ebay doing this a few months ago and received the cashback to my Paypal account, which later transferred to my bank account.

11. NeGRit0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

oh, i get it... sounds sweet. imma give it a try. thanks!

----------------
    Now playing on iTunes: Jay-Z - Bitches and Sister (Bonus Trac
    via FoxyTunes