Time Capsule Buying tips??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iWoz, Oct 24, 2009.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Hi All,

Well Im selling my macbook pro and an going to get an Imac however I have no external HD at present. Im not 100% of how the time capsule works but I presume it works as an external HD? So Im contemplating purchasing the 1tb version, as opposed to a wd external hd. Is this a good option?

Will I be able to backup data from my windows laptop aswell as a mac?

Thanks

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Why not a simple USB external drive? Because the cables look bad? You can buy multiple 1TB drives for the cost of a TC. Buy one drive for the iMac and one for the PC.

But if you bought the TC then it's disk would apper as a networked drive on both the PC and the Mac. But as I said, cheaper to simply buy two external drives

You know of course that the PC can't use Time Machine. You will have to get some PC backup software. The simplest thing would be to keep all your data on the Mac and use a network share to let the PC have access to it. then Time Machine back up the Mac.

Even if you do buy the TC be sure and also buy a couple large external drives. You need to keep a copy of the data off-site and safe from fire or theft. You need tow drives to maintain an off-site backup because you need to rotate them to the remote location. I've hear people say "I've never had a problem with fire or theft" but that is what everyone says after the fire.

I've said it many times now, and I'm still certain that in 100 years there will e almost zero 100 year old photos. No one backs up their stuff correctly. If you have a PC, a Mac and a TC all plugged in to AC power, then you are just one power surge from loosing all the data and the backup.

The external hard drives, I think are better backup devices because you can have many of them and rote them around and keep some in a different building or in a fire safe. Putting everything in one device is not so safe.

3. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Thank you for your time in that response. I think you're probably right. Might head off to tesco now and purchase an external HD. I just wanted it to be by apple :)