Time Capsule can has iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ifjake, Jun 15, 2008.

1. ifjake macrumors 6502a

hey can i use the internal drive of the Time Capsule as a little personal server and keep my iTunes library on there as well as the Time Machine backup files?

2. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

succinct. nice.
    how well do movies stream from it? say, if i were to rent a movie from iTunes and my powerbook only has "g" wireless speeds. would that suck?

3. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I have my TC 1TB setup with my iTunes only because I have about 800 gigs. I use an attached hard drive to the TC for backups. Works perfect and have not had any issues. Its setup in 5ghz n only and is extremely fast when adding and streaming to apple tv and files to other the TC.

4. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

long post here

i finally got it set and running now. for music it works great, but for video is a little jittery. there'll be periods of smoothness that last a decent while but then it'll stutter for a couple seconds. my powerbook only has "g" wifi speeds, which is probably where this comes from.

i have this idea of how to keep movies on my laptops internal drive (for the time being, until i get something n-spec), but i'm not sure it'll work. there's a little bit of a hitch, but here's my idea: in the iTunes library folder, videos are usually kept in folders for TV shows, Movies, and Podcasts. what if i were to move these folders to my internal drive and then create aliases to them on the Time Capsule drive? would this successfully fool iTunes?

the hitch is that music videos are still organized in the artist's folder with their music. but i think i have like 3 of those.