Time Capsule: Can I remote in to the Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by legaleye3000, Jun 25, 2008.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

With either the latest Airport Extreme or Time Capsule, can I remote into the hard drive over the internet? (It would not be directly connected to any computer. Just an external hard drive, or built in for Time Capsule, plugged into the Airport)

Thanks.

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

No. You do not 'remote' into a hard drive, you 'remote' into a computer with a hard drive.

There is no 'remoting' into a Time Capsule that I am aware of, though I believe they have limited SNMP functionality, which would not help in this case.

You could 'share' this drive with a computer, and then 'remote' into the computer.

In the above I am 'assuming' 'remote' is ssh or some sort of screen sharing. smb over the internet is just a bad idea.

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I want to find out if there is any way to get access to only my external hard drive plugged into my airport extreme base station over the internet? No computer attached...

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

I'm not sure about the AEBS or about USB attached HDDs, but I do know that the TC has the option of Connecting over WAN and Sharing over WAN for it's internal HDD. This way you can use either afp or smb and access the TC and it's HDD using your ISP assigned IP address and the username/password of your TC. People have even been able to administer the TC, mount their backup images, use Time Machine to browse the files, and even perform backups. And that's in addition to being able to access the HDD and view its contents.

5. operator207 macrumors 6502

6. McDLT macrumors regular

will anyone actually figure out that you are doing it? what is the level of risk?