Time Capsule capabilities

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by randalf72, Apr 25, 2014.

1. randalf72 macrumors member

OK I'm looking at getting an iMac and Time Capsule at some stage this year.

Basically I'll be looking for the 2014 refresh models when ever they may appear and I'm hoping for USB3 (x2) or possibly even thunderbolt to be added to the Time Capsule :)

I'm currently moving around accomodation so I can't sign up to a decent broadband provider due to their insistence on 12 month contracts, which when you haven't stayed in one location for more than three months is problematic.

So I've gone for a mobile broadband deal with a mini broadband modem with a cellular data card in that broadcasts a wifi signal that I currently have my kit connecting to.

Would it be possible for you guys to help me with some questions please?

If I get a time capsule can I connect this wirelessly to the broadband modem?

If so would I then have to reset my wifi on my macbook so that it connects to the time capsule and through that to the broadband modem?

At some future date when I get a proper fibre connection can I substitute the supplied router with a time capsule connecting to the cable modem either wirelessly or through cable.

If I connect a USB hub is it possible to have a printer and a HDD attached to the time capsule and print share/back up to external HDD at the same time?

Thanks in advance

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can certainly have the Time Capsule create a new network and wirelessly connect to your 3G or LTE modem! You will have no issues when you get a new Internet provider which would come across a DSL, Cable, or FIOS connection. If you connect a USB hub you can have up to theoretically 126 devices attached, however you can just hook the printer and your external. Both the internal hard drive and the external will work with your computer through the TC.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Assuming your broadband modem has an integrated router that can accept multiple devices:

You can set the TC to connect the broadband network modem (wirelessly) like any other device. It will appear on the network as another device and show up in the macbook finder. You can connect multiple drives and at least one USB printer through a hub.

If your broadband modem does not have an integrated router (it is designed for one device connection), then the TC will have to be set up as a separate stand alone wireless network and you will have to manually switch the macbook wireless connection between the two corresponding with what you want to do. But it will otherwise function the same.

What brand and model broadband modem are you using?

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

You won't find TB on the Time Capsule. TB requires a PCI bus, so we're talking desktop/laptop level hardware with an Intel-compatible chipset, not a small wifi router circuit board.

5. robgendreau, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014

robgendreau macrumors 68030

And it would sorta be a bridge to nowhere....

In my experience the broadband routers/cable modems are OK at doing the cable modem or DSL part, but stink re wifi and routing. They may not have the speed you'd get from a better router, or dual radios, or antennas, or any of the other features you need. So often the best strategy is to not use the routing function of those boxes, and connect them via ethernet to your better equipment, which I guess in your case would be an Extreme or TC or whatever.