Time Capsule causes Macs to crash

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tuftywhite, Aug 28, 2011.

1. tuftywhite macrumors member

I bought a time capsule last weekend.

I've installed it but my MBP (new and Lion) crashes constantly during back ups. I managed eventually to get one back up to work, some subsequent ones have been fine but occasionally my Mac just locks up when backing up.

My wife's MB (black and Lion) is also suffering the same issues and I can't even get the first complete back up done. I've tried plugging in directly via ethernet and leaving over night, only to find that it's locked up after a few MB of saving.

I don't know if I have a rogue Time Capsule or if I've set it up incorrectly. The internet works, guest network is fine, it's just that the Macs crash when backing up. It's a total lock up. Force Quit doesn't work. It also looks like it's trying to index the hard drive on my wife's machine whilst backing up.

It's really started to annoy me as I can't see what else I can do. I bought it as an 'install and leave alone' device but on my wife's I've had to resort to plugging an external drive in to back up.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I urial Time Machine backups over the network take a LONG time. Have you just left it for a few hours to see what happens? It may not truly be locked up.

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Even though the initial backups take a long time over the network, they shouldn't come close to "locking up" or "crashing" the Mac!

I suggest you take a look at Time Machine's messages in Console.app (which is in /Applications/Utilities). Open Console, select "All Messages" and then filter on "backupd" to see the Time Machine backup process's messages. Look for anything that sounds like an error...

Regards,
    Brian33