Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonMoles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hey there,

I've recently been unable to access certain sites, so I set about the usual procedure of clearing the DNS cache on my laptop. This worked before I got a time capsule, but I have a feeling that the time capsule itself is keeping a cache...

Is there any way to clear the DNS cache INSIDE the time capsule, not just on my laptop? Or does it keep one at all? (In which case, any suggestions why the usual "dscacheutil -flushcache" doesn't work in this case?)

Its been about 4 days since I lost access to the site. (Plenty of time for the ISP to fix it up, which is why I think its a local issue)

Str8edgepunker

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2001
Philadelphia, PA
Probably just by resetting it, it should reset any cache that might be present. The underlying issue might be with your ISP's DNS servers and I think you should try using OpenDNS on your router as it would probably work a lot better than the DNS you're getting from your ISP. Hope that helps.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Yep. reboot the Time capsule will cause it to clear its Arp and DNS cache. It could be problem on the ISP DNS servers. easiest way to check is to remote Time capsule and connect directly to your cable modem and see if you get the same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.