Time capsule connected via ethernet, and existing wireless network together?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stevesnas, Mar 17, 2009.

1. stevesnas macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Hopefully an easy question, I'm soon to start working from a shared office and my internet will be gained wirelessly from a shared router.

As I cannot modify the wireless network as it will interfere with everyone else Can i simply attach my time capsule via ethernet direct to my macbook pro, so that it does all the backup goodness and yet still have my wireless internet conneection open.

so

MAC to TC wired
    with
    MAC to INTERNET Wireless

Without interference.

Thanks in advance

Steve

2. gwihannom macrumors member

Why, oh, why do you need TC for this???
    It's like getting a Lamborghini to give an old lady a ride to a drug store everyday.

If you already have one, I can't say anything about that, but don't BUY it to do this. A simple USB external hard drive will be better for your purpose.
    Maybe there's something that's missing from what you wrote, but it's just an overspeced device which isn't even best solution.
    (You do know that Time Machine works with any other external hard drives, right?)

But as for your question, yes, it's possible.
    Disable all wireless options and disable all routing configurations.
    You'll just connect to TC via ethernet cable.

You want to make TC as a standalone external hard drive via ethernet?
    Do you want others to share files on it?
    Or just for yourself and your backups?

3. stevesnas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply,

As for the TC I already have one from my last office where it was just me, and I used it as my router.

It will only be me needing to back up, and yes if I had known I was going to move I would have just got a regular USB harddrive.

But as its there...want to make use of it.

So I think by the sounds of your reply I can do what I need which is good. Although I agree it is a bit weird.