Time Capsule connection drops when it falls asleep

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Akuratyde, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Akuratyde macrumors regular

I've been having a strange issue with my Airport Time Capsule. The internet connection seems to drop out when the ATC falls asleep. On a regular basis my wife and I will be streaming TV on Netflix when the video will freeze. I'll go to my Mac, open the mounted ATC folder in Finder, hear the ATC's hard drive wake up, and the video will resume playing.

I have a hard time imagining this is normal behavior. However, this is the 2nd ATC we've purchased because I thought the first one was defective. Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so, resolved it?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What generation Time Capsule is this? When this issue occurs does the Internet connection drop or the drive simply goes to sleep and the locally stored video halts?

3. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

It's the newest one. The internet connection drops completely, that's what is so baffling about this. Surely it's not intended to work this way, but this is now the 2nd ATC I've had that does this.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The fact that the Internet connection is dropping is puzzling as the hard drive should have nothing to do with it. Does this occur with both Ethernet and wireless clients? Are you running at least the 7.7.2 firmware?

5. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

I'm running Firmware version 7.7.3. It's difficult to know if it occurs with both Ethernet and wireless clients as the only device I have using Ethernet is my Mac and the internet connection is fine when I'm using it.

This issue isn't specific to our Apple TV or Netflix either. Essentially what happens is that often, when I'm not using my Mac, our internet connection will drop. I'll use my Mac to wake up and ATC and the connection is restored.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Is this in Bridge Mode or DHCP & NAT mode?

7. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What modem do you have?

9. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Almost sounds like the TC is locking up/freezing and that disk access kicks it out of that state. Dunno what could be doing that beside the TC or AppleTV overheating?

Come to think of it, my ethernet connected apple TV will stall opening a iTunes Library every once in awhile where my other older WiFi connected one has been flawless.

10. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

A Motorola Surfboard SB6121

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am running this same config but with an Extreme. What ISP? I am wondering if your TC is having issues getting a DHCP renewal from the ISP.

12. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

Charter.

Do you think it would help if I changed my DHCP lease from 1 day to something shorter, say 1 hour?

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Does this occur randomly or at certain times?

14. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Hmm... have you tried doing a full factory reset using the reset button? It is possible that there was an issue with the settings profile if it was transferred from another base station.

16. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

It wasn't.

This is our third TC. We had a 3rd Gen that worked great but I wanted the increased storage space so I bought a brand new 5th Gen about 6 months ago. From the get-go it had this issue. I finally got fed up and bought another one two weeks ago, hoping that the previous 5th Gen was defective, however the issue persists.

I'm nearly at my wits end with this. I'm considering just going back to the 3rd Gen.

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have not heard of this issue before and so it must be pretty rare and only triggered under certain circumstances. Does this only occur when using the disk? If so, try changing the file sharing settings to "Accounts".

18. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

Where do I make this change? I don't see it in Airport Utility.

19. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is under the disks tab.

20. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately changing file sharing to Accounts resulted in no change. I also changed the DHCP lease to 1 hour instead of 1 day, but that doesn't seem to have done anything either.