Time Capsule connectivity questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bdelay, Aug 17, 2012.

1. bdelay macrumors newbie

Hi everyone...let me preface with Thank You :D...I have spent hours trying to figure out my question and I hope I can get some guidance here.

Essentially this is what I am trying to accomplish....

I want Time Capsule to connect to my AT&T 2wire i38HG modem/router wirelessly. Then I would like to setup Time Capsule to broadcast a network that I would make private for all of my personal mac products to connect threw. :rolleyes:

Also..I have a lot of data I want to transfer from my WD passport to Time Capsule. Currently I have my :apple:TC connected to my existing wireless network only. When I plug ethernet into the :apple:TC nothing happens. My knowledge tells me that this is occurring because it isn't directly connected to the AT&T i38HG/isn't being used as an Airport. :confused:

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I'm not clear about your ethernet connection: what else are you connecting that ethernet cable to? something needs to be on the other end.

If your 2Wire is like mine it acts as a router and residential gateway for broadband. It has wifi and a few ethernet ports.

Probably the easiest way to get the TC going is to connect it via ethernet from its "internet-WAN" port to the ethernet port on the 2Wire. Then set the TC in what's called "bridge" mode. Use "create a wireless network" and you'll have to set a name and password, etc. You might try using a separate channel rather than automatic, YMMV. The connection will be ethernet, and again the setting is called "shared internet-bridging" or something like that.

I'd also suggest a trip over to ATT's uverse forum; those 2Wires are rather idiosyncratic and stuff that works will other routers is often a fail with them. There are lots of people with more experience with 2Wires and apple products who can help.