Time Capsule...couple of ?'s

Discussion in 'iMac' started by imac wannabe, Nov 17, 2011.

1. imac wannabe macrumors regular

I have 2tb time capsule running time machine on a new imac. My understanding is the backup is just a an "imprint" of the harddrive. My TC image is the same size as my HD. It also does huge backups sometimes 80-120 gb's. Are these things normal? Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The Time Machine backup is a complete copy of your system, so will start out at least that big. Then is will grow as new versions of files are saved to the backup.

You are seeing 80GB backups AFTER the initial backup? That should only happen if you have 80GB of new or changed files.

3. imac wannabe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Weasle,

I'm not sure how big the backups are now that I look at it. It said it was starting a 13gb backup the other day and was done in about 30 seconds, can't be! I'll monitor it for a while and call Apple if I have to...thank you again!

Paul

4. deafgoose macrumors regular

deafgoose

5. gr997s macrumors member

If I have both a SSD dive and an internal hard drive, do I need two time machines to back up each of the two disks? Thanks....

6. Mac Eagle macrumors member

No, you can select which drives you want to backup in the TM preferences. They will both be backed up to the same TM "image". You can also select individual items (files, folders, etc.) that you DON'T want it to backup (for instance, I don't have it backup my TV shows from iTunes since I should be able to pull most of them back now if I have a drive failure and they take up a lot of space - +400GB - that I don't want to waste on my TC. It fairly flexible.