Time Capsule covered with Applecare?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by carb850, Apr 16, 2012.

1. carb850 macrumors newbie

I purchased an iMac earlier this year and opted to get Applecare. My plan was to pickup a Time Capsule a few months later. The way I interpreted it that the TC would be covered under the Applecare that I purchased for the iMac. A few days after my initial purchase I placed a call to Apple for an unrelated question but while I had them on the phone I wanted to clarify the Applecare warranty extending to the TC. I was told it would not unless they were purchased at the same time but I never seen anything on the Applecare suggesting they had to be purchased at the same time.

Anyone know if the above is true? That they have to be purchased at the same time?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

That is my understanding, yes - it would need to have been purchased with the computer

3. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

The Time Capsule or Airport needs to have been purchased with the computer or in the previous 2 years before the purchase of the computer.

4. drambuie macrumors 6502a

It's covered if purchased during the term of your Applecare Protection coverage. Of course it will only be covered for the remaining term of your Applecare coverage.

5. carb850 thread starter macrumors newbie

It actually says in the previous 2 years or "during the term of your Applecare". So for instance my Applecare was purchased Feb 2012 so if I get a Time Capsule next month it should still be covered up to Feb 2015, right?

It seems like it is black and white but being told differently by an Apple customer support agent and the conflicting responses makes it seem like this isn't as clear as it should be.

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I believe you are correct, yes. They don't register individual serial numbers for their "accessories." So when you put in a request, they enter it as a work item on your computer. I just went through this with a defective magic trackpad. Same concept.

7. HD-Gregg macrumors newbie

This happened to me too!!!

I actually had this very same thing happen to me. I did not buy the TC with anything else but I did get the applecare for my MBP. All I had to do was call them, put a deposit on my credit card (insurance they get the old one back) and I got a shiny new one a few days later. I boxed up the old one and sent it back and they released the deposit right back to my card. Very easy process. I just made one call to apple care and that was it, done deal. The only catch is that you have to have an active apple care coverage on something thats currently covered.