Time Capsule data cleaning help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by micqo, Jul 26, 2017.

1. micqo macrumors regular

Heya, first I apologize if my English sounds weard, it's not my langue so I try my best to write :)

I have a Time Capsule which keeps backups from my old Mac, which I don't have anymore. I haven't use my TC about a few months now. Nowadays, I have a new MBP and new adsl modem (Asus) and I would like to clean TC backups before selling it.

So I'm little bit scaring to connect it to my new modem (I don't know is there any malwares/viruses on old backups). What is the best and safe way to connect TC and clean it?

Is it possible to infect my new Mac if I connect TC with old Mac backups to my new network?

Also when data cleaning process is running is it possible to cut network connection or is it have to be online to clear data from TC?

2. micqo thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone? :rolleyes:

I would like to reset TC to factory settings and then clear old data, but I'm scared that if my new Mac will infect if I connect it to my - Is it?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Don't worry about malware or anything, there is no way just connecting the TC to your Mac will infect it. Just connect to the TC over wifi then in Airport Utility there is a screen where you can erase the drive in the TC. It just takes a minute or so to complete.

4. micqo thread starter macrumors regular

Many thanks for your reply!

Okay, maybe I just plug in it. I just wondering is it any possibility that malware etc could jump my new network or infect my new MacBook Pro from old backups - this is what I do not want see :)

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... that is not possible. For that to happen you would have to copy data from the TC over to the MacBook. That won't happen all on its own.

6. micqo thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, that was I was wondering… great to get confirmed information to my thoughts. Thanks mate!! :)