Time Capsule data lost!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HipHopTrex, Feb 24, 2013.

1. HipHopTrex macrumors member

Hello everyone,

Today I got a notification from my time capsule saying it needed to do a new backup, which I thought was strange at the time because it had completed a backup about an hour beforehand, and it wanted to do my hard drive, instead of what contents were added in the hour I was on. So I thought nothing of it till a few minutes ago when I went to go move some photos to the external hard drive on it when I noticed I had 2TB free:eek:

Apparently it's acting like it's a new TC I assume? And running a full back up. I can see backups as far back as a week ago, but I can't restore too any of them, and all my folders I had stored are gone as well. Obviously I would like to recover any data I can if it's possible. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Also should I resume the back up, is the data a lost cause at this point?

2. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

I'm fairly certain that the message you agreed to was telling you that it wanted to redo the entire backup from scratch due to some sort of corruption, so it deleted the old backup.

3. HipHopTrex thread starter macrumors member

That it was. From what I've read I'm screwed and even if I could pull files they most likely wouldn't be readable.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Start backing up again. You will be fine. BTW: This is EXACTLY why I have been advocating dual backup... one local and one to the cloud. With a good cloud backup solution (I use Crashplan+).... you have your files versioned back to their genesis.

/Jim

5. HipHopTrex thread starter macrumors member

Luckily Flynz I'm the same way. MOST of my files are/were backed up. Pretty much the only thing not backed up are iTunes digital copies, and maybe random things like comics.