Time Capsule died, ideas for suitable replacement ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 2112, Mar 12, 2011.

1. 2112 macrumors member

So, my time capsule died today, and I liked a lot the services that it provided (namely, a Time Machine-compatible NAS that handled the backups for the two computers in the house, 802.11n wifi and the gigabit ethernet hub.

However the speed as a NAS never got over 17MB/s (which is not a lot for SATA drives over a gigabit connection).

So I was looking for suggestions for a suitable replacement (maybe third party) that you might have.

Thanks !

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

The I/O speed of a NAS is usually restricted by the weak CPU:s put in those things. Typically you have to go up a bit in the price range as well as device size for notable improvements. How much are you prepared to spend? Do you necessarily need an all-in-one, or would a router + NAS be of interest?

I considered different options, but in the end I settled for an Airport Extreme which provides the same features as the Time Capsule save for the official Time Machine support and internal drive. For Time Machine I got a separate external drive for each computer instead, but that is probably very inconvenient for laptops.

3. 2112 thread starter macrumors member

Turns out it was only a hard drive failure.
    Since it was well out of it's warranty, I just opened it, and removed the HDD.
    It started without a hitch.
    Then I plugged a spare SATA drive and it recognized it right away.

Blame the Seagate "Enterprise" HDD ...