Time Capsule Died

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MattZani, Feb 14, 2009.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Left my Time Capsule on over night (Which i always do) Only difference was my MacBook Pro was doing a brand new Backup of 180Gb, so i left it and went to bed, woke up this morning, to find 'Server Connection lost to Time Capsule' and was annoyed as it had only done 38Gb, so i clicked ok, then clicked back up, and it said it again.

So i checked my Time Capsule, no Green Light, No Flashing Orange, nothing, so i turned it off at the plug, and unplugged it, and let it cool down (The Apple Logo on top was almost burning hot) I Plugged it back in, and turned it on, and there was quite a loud pop, but no smoke, so i turned it off and unplugged again, and it smells like Garlic Cheese...

So obviously, i will be taking it back to the Apple store, im just worried as i removed the Rubber foot on the bottom to aid Ventilation (All the Rubber Foot Does is Trap Heat) and had it raised up with some small stick on feet, now i have returned it to stock state, but the feet have left some residue on the Metal Cage, which i have pretty much removed, and the Rubber Foot which was on there is alot easier to remove now.

Anyone exchanged a Time Capsule thats gone Pop? Im Hoping they will either do a straight swap with no check, or just plug it in, see it doesnt turn on, then swap, nothing too deep like they do with Mac's.....

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They test it; then check it for drop damage and such. If it's good they replace it.

3. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

So they open it....?

Because thats what im worried about, i havent actually done anything to the TC, but i took the metal plate off the bottom, but then screwed it back on.

4. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Just an update to say went to the Apple store, had some problems at first as I didn't have an appointment, but they managed to fit me in, and did a swap for a new one (Actually a brand new one, receipt and year warranty etc) Had to go through the whole we will have to order a part in etc, but they don't repair them (Genius said any returned HDD's are shredded) but some perseverance and I got through, and was assured my iPhone can be replaced too, proper job from apple really.