time capsule disconnecting from certain devices

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adamj575, Dec 16, 2013.

1. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

I need some help figuring this one out, My time capsule is disconnecting from my Nest thermostat, My roku and my Tivo box....It has largely been fine for the past year but now it just disconnects and then the devices wont see the wireless network anymore. I reset my time capsule and all is fine for about a day but then the same thing happens again...What is really strange is that my ipad, imac, galaxy tab and other devices work fine...the issue seems to be limited to the three devices mentioned above. One thing to note is that I allow my neighbor to connect to my wifi and give him my password...I dont know what he could possibly be doing that would effect what I have described but I did notice that the problem happened again after I reset everything and gave him the password...Thinking of resetting again and creating him a guest network and see if that makes a difference...any advise or similar experiences would be of great help...I gotta get this one solved!

2. adamj575 thread starter macrumors 6502

adamj575

just a thought, but what are the odds of something being wrong with the 2.4 ghz band and the devices in question can only connect to that band...I know the nest only works with the 2.4 not sure about the other devices...

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I was pondering your question without any good ideas, but I think you hit on it yourself. Check to see if all of the reliable devices use the 5 GHz band and the three disconnecting ones use the 2.4 GHz band. I'll bet that's the case.

What would cause it, though? The 2.4 GHz band is generally much more congested/has more interference, could that be it?

Good luck!

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have seen this problem happen if settings are out of whack. I would simply reset the Time Capsule and start with a fresh SSID and password. Then I would not keep the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks separate. Simply put, if the signal is strong enough and the device is capable it will use 5 GHz, however otherwise it will use 2.4 GHz. Everything should work. Also verify you are not running out of IP addresses for your network.

:apple: Altemose :apple: