TIME CAPSULE dissappointment

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by niewiesznic, Nov 22, 2009.

1. niewiesznic macrumors regular

niewiesznic

Hello,
    I have the second generation Time Capsule 500GB (Currently 1,5TB WD Green POWER).
    I am really dissapointed with this piece of hardware from Apple.
    I have the problem with the loosing connection to disk and internet....
    I have problem with the sleeping the USB Disk on TC (this problem fixed the USB Powered HUB).
    THe Time capsule didnt recognised some of my USB Hard Disk Enclosures AT ALL.
    The TC gets REALLY TOO HOT !! Sometimes make it hang (not to often, then).

I really thought that TC would be great companion to my MB Pro, i was thinking of putting there the Itunes Base... Why Apple didnt applied the ITUNES SERVER functionality in it ? I have bigger base than my notebook has hard disk, besides I also work on my MB Pro, so no itunes Base there...
    Why there is no Gallery functionality on TC for Aperture base/Iphoto image base ?
    These things are standard now.
    The other thing I would like to see in TC is DynDNS functionality ? why there is no such thing... I could use remotely the data on TC and connected mac mini from other places then home...

So i think its one of the worst hardware Apple made...

Anyone agrees / dissagrees ?

Take care,

P. G.

2. dmm219 macrumors 6502

Sounds a lot more like you didn't bother to read what the TC was before you bought it. And now your complaining that it doesn't do the things you want.

The TC was advertised to do two things:

1. backsup macs wirelessly to its own HD using TC
    2. Act as an AEBS

THATS IT. Thats ALL it was every advertised to do. It does those things exceptionally well. If you expected more its more to do with your own inability to research products.

The only bad thing about the TC is the crappy PSU that keeps blowing in all the units. People with this problem have a legitimate complaint.

3. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin

I totally agree, I own an air port express and it's nothing but trouble so far, always jam, auto detection of ethernet failed often, etc.. heat like hell, why wouldn't they put some grid on it to let the heat escape?!

The major problem is it's often start and doesn't see the DSL modem and don't connect and give itself, the beautiful 0.0.0.1 ip address! what the hell is that, unplug the ethernet cable and replug it often "not always" solve the problem, a hard reset is require for other case.

And it's slow as hell to reboot, so when this happen (sometime in the middle of internet usage), I have to wait for the damn thing to reboot and have to reboot it 2-3 times sometime before it realize the right behavior.

Oh, and by the way, the airport icon into the menu bar is buggy since 10.6, the elapse connection time doesn't stop sliding after a new connection, the reconnect often failed.

Wireless was more stable in 10.3! since 10.5 it's nothing but trouble.

4. niewiesznic thread starter macrumors regular

niewiesznic

Actually I was completely new to networks and network storage and NAS.
    I was not aware of such possibilities. I just think Apple should add the itunes server and Aperture/Iphoto gallery option (which i think would be no problem to add, bacause its a software/firmware thing).
    That was my point.

Today I would buy Apple Extreme Base Station + Qnap with two drives or Readynas. C'mon Apple people...

And the other thing.. loosing connection and dropping internet is a SERIOUS PROBLEM. Such as DYING TC's and the design which makes it UNBELIEVABLE HOT which comes to DEATH of electronic parts... APPLE FAULT.
    And the other two things :
    "I have problem with the sleeping the USB Disk on TC - too often" and the not recognising the USB Hard Drive in enclosures at all. This is this is serious technical design DEFECT.

P. G.

5. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

It is a poorly designed product with an abysmal lifespan. I got screwed badly on one. Apple's service was pathetic. I will stick with non Apple routers and HDs to meet my needs...and at less cost mind you.

6. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Weren't there articles recently about the TC lasting just 18 months?

7. niewiesznic thread starter macrumors regular

niewiesznic

BTW This is my way to cool down TC. It now works OK (and looks terrible :( )

[​IMG]

I still wish Apple add Itunes server and Aperture Gallery options to TC.
    If not i would make FreeNAS from old pc with ZFS :)

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

9. rekhyt macrumors 65816

O.O How do you do that?! That's awesome!!! (I think that would be awesome for creating a MacBook stand-Mine goes 50-60 C° nowadays.)

10. niewiesznic thread starter macrumors regular

niewiesznic

I just sticked the big audio amp radiators (cheap) and sticked them onto the top of TC with 3M thermal sticker (double sided). The fan is 120mm AC Fan. loud. I plan to put fan on 7v instead of 12v, but later... The TC is REALLY COOL. Nothing hangs, or stops. TC works 24/7 and is COOL all the time.

As for the MB, use the rain design mStand. IT rules, its practical, it cools down, and its really nice. http://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand.html