Time Capsule, do they still break

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by paintballswimgu, Oct 17, 2010.

1. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

I'm looking at buying one of the latest generations of time capsules. Do they still have the same problems as the older ones.

I also looked at getting an airport extreme with USB hard drive. However, these seem to corrupt after a while.

Any thoughts would be great

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Go with an AEBS and a Time Machine capable NAS. You'll have faster speeds than USB attached HDD with AEBS and you won't have to worry about PSU overheating on the Time Capsule.

3. paintballswimgu thread starter macrumors 6502

Which NAS will give me the best bang for my buck, and still play well with time machine?

4. T5000 macrumors newbie

I use a Qnap NAS they have Time Machine Support and work flawlessly (i never used a Time Capsule).

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I've owned all three generations of Time Capsule and although I've only kept each for less than a year, I've never had any of them break.

That said, my third generation TC has been going strong for nearly a year now. :)

6. prss14 macrumors regular

prss14

I have had my Refurbished TC for 14 months. No problems, but I have done what I can to keep mine from overheating without major modification. I took off the rubber heat trapper from the bottom, raised the TC off the table, and purchased a cheap usb fan to blow air onto the power supply. My TC is out of sight so, the fan keeps it nice and cool. I do think it is ridiculous that you need to modify such an expensive device because of poor design. It is all about keeping it cool.

7. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

8. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Believe it or not, my first gen Time Capsule 1TB is still running strong after almost 3 years.

And my cat even sits on it all the time. O_O

9. paintballswimgu thread starter macrumors 6502

I might end up just doing that. It doesn't sound all that difficult to do. If you could post a pic, that would be much appreciated. I wouldn't mind getting an airport extreme and a reliable NAS, however, that ends up being more expensive. To guarantee that they both play well together. If i go that route. The only NAS devices that i have found that claim to be compatable with time-machine are the LACIE drives.

And then i've also found this. However, it isn't duel band.
    http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Wireles...X0K2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1287612235&sr=8-4

10. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Reading posts has convinced me that the newer Time Capsules have resolved the problem, but I can't support that with real evidence.

FWIW, I've got a first-generation TC whose serial number falls within the problem range, but has performed flawlessly for 2 1/2 years. I'm just about to replace its 500GB drive with a 2TB WD Caviar Green and fully expect to be using the TC for another few years.

I haven't used a fan or anything special to cool my TC, though by happenstance it has been mostly segregated from my other equipment by being up on a bookcase shelf (for better wireless signal). I'll also note that it's my printer server and hosts a USB drive, and plays nice with my wife's Windows XP laptop.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy a new generation TC. A 2TB one would be awesome!

11. dmm219 macrumors 6502

same here...my serial number came right after the ones noted for free replacements...its over 3 years old at this point and works fine.

I do wish I had waited for dual band however, i might get an AEBS to update my router...running 2 networks gets really old and annoying...

12. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I would say get the Airport Extreme and a USB2 External Hard disk. Then connect that via the USB port on it. Then if the external drive goes bad at some time, you can replace easily. Time Machine will now be able to use an external that way, connected to an Extreme. Plus if the Extreme in the future needs replacing you can use that time Machine external and connect to another USB ported router or to your Mac.