Time Capsule Dripping Water

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by accrama, Feb 15, 2012.

1. accrama macrumors newbie

accrama

My 1 TB Time Capsule (TC) is dripping water.

The TC is set over a desk at home and gives back-up to 3 computers.

Last summer it suddenly stop working, when unplugged to see what was the matter and moved around water dripped on the side.
    I took it to Apple Service and they looked surprised but told me to return it on a Monday (this was on a Saturday).
    On Monday it worked OK (I guess it dryed up) and I continued using it.

Six months later it stopped working again, I followed the same procedure and water dripped on the side, YET AGAIN.
    Took it to Service and immediately wanted to void my warranty when "water" came into discussion.

It's not me getting it into water, it's the product condensing water inside (maybe it's incorrectly sealed).
    They said they would check it, but if the moisture sensors showed it has been in contact with water, the warranty would be void.
    This is a no-brainer, the moisture sensors will have a negative outcome for me, obviously.

What can I do?
    Are there any (or was I lied to) moisture sensors in the TC?

Additionally, they told me, if the warranty was void they couldn't fix it, because there are no spare parts in Mexico and I would have to buy a new one.
    This is just BS.

Angry and confused. :mad:
    Thanks.

2. tommot82 macrumors regular

are you SURE that the TC hasn't come into contact with water? Kids? spilled drink? leaking pipe?

it seems very odd otherwise?!?!?!

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no way water is coming from the TC. The water is being introduced from a source outside the TC, whether you're aware of it or not.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

How much does the temperature fluctuate in your environment? Do you have an AC vent nearby, that's possibly blowing on your equipment?

For it to just get wet, does not make sense. Unless it was very cold, and then the room air suddenly got warmer, with high humidity. Or you have an animal that likes to drool / nap on it?

Anyone water the plants recently?

5. tommot82 macrumors regular

Logic HAS to agree with this point!

6. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Time capsules are infamous for running fairly warm, that water should under any circumstances condense inside it seems pretty much impossible, unless you were to say, use it in a steam sauna, or possibly in the middle of a rainforest.

If water was to condense inside your TC, it would condense in pretty much every piece of electronics you own (gadgets aren't sealed typically, unless they're external power supplies, to let waste heat escape), so like others have suggested, I'd look at other factors in your local environment.

Do you have any kids? I'd start my investigations there myself. :p

7. accrama thread starter macrumors newbie

accrama

Hi there everyone.

Thank your for your thoughts and insights.

There are:

- No kids in my house.
    - No plants nearby.
    - Two small dogs that can't possibly get near it, three cats that have never been within its reach (I've been home several days and they go near other things but not this, or maybe they are having secret "let's get the TC wet" parties in my absence).
    - No air conditioning
    - No huge changes in temperature, I mean, it's inside a house and another TC is inside there too and is no presenting the same problems.
    - It is, as a matter of fact, 3 feet away from a CLOSED window, yet the other TC also is.

Does anyone know of the moisture sensors, where they are physically placed and how much waters makes them trigger?

This is a real head scratcher. I can still only point to faulty: fans, seals.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

8. Minicube macrumors regular

How odd. Maybe set up a motion-triggered monitoring camera?

9. drambuie macrumors 6502a

There's no way water can condense in a TC, especially if it's running 24/7. The TC has air inlets on the bottom between the rubber base and plastic body. The air outlets are in the gap between the body and the top panel. With the internal temperatures the TC reaches, any water would be evaporated, and removed by the continuously circulating air.

Liquid could get in at the base, if the TC was sitting on a small pool of water.