Time Capsule + Drobo + iPhoto performance + Odd finder issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DamienM3, Aug 28, 2008.

1. DamienM3 macrumors newbie

I am not sure where would be the correct place to post this. If I get it wrong sorry...

I have a Drobo USB connected to my TC via USB to share it. There is not a drobo share between these it is connected to a hub that also has a printer connected to it and occasionally another HDD to backup to. My problem is that while working in the finder say in the documents folder I have stored on the drobo the documents will vanish... I can scroll to the "F's" and try to rename or delete a file and they will all vanish up to the "D's" I have to back up and start at the drobo volume and work my way back to the same folder and it will normally happen again. Anyone else with a odd issue like this? Other then speed the drobo works great connected to a TC. Although it does not seem fast enough to use and store iPhoto libraries on it... That's sad for me that was my main purchasing reason... Will iPhoto work if my MBP was connected via Cat5? I was using it over wireless N and it would eventually slow to a craw and become unusable. This seems to be true wether the library is on the TC or the drobo. I would very much like to be able to wirelessly access iphoto! Do any of you do this? Am I missing something simple? Does it work if the drobo is on a droboshare?

My thoughts are not very organized let me try to sum it up.

I have a Drobo connected to a TC
    I would like to use iPhoto from the TC or Drobo over wireless
    When I tried this it would lag
    I am looking for any kind of tips or suggestions or success stories!

Thank You all for your time!

Damien

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

This is probably more related to flaky USB drive connected through Time Capsule support then an issue with the Drobo itself.

I don't have any good suggestions, try connecting the Drobo directly to your Mac and see if you have the same issues. Try connecting a different USB drive to the Time Capsule and see if you have the same issues.

That will point out where the problem lies : Again, I suspect it is the poor implementation of USB hard drives connected to Airports/Time Capsules.

3. DamienM3 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I would be alot better off buying a Drobo share? Do you think that would cure alot of my issues?

4. kalex macrumors 65816

either that or try connecting Drobo directly to the mac to see if the problem is still happening.

5. DamienM3 thread starter macrumors newbie

When it is connected directly to the book it seems to work fine. Although its a little slow even for USB 2.0. Others seem to report that it works fine connected to a TC I wonder if the good reports are actually connected to a Airport Extreme and not a TC?