Time Capsule dropped connections (again and again)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BrentD, Oct 16, 2012.

1. BrentD macrumors regular

I've been having an issue with my 4th gen 2TB Time Capsule for a couple months now. Nothing in my config has changed in that timeframe, but the problem has come up still. I have Comcast cable internet to a Zoom Telephonics 5341 Docsis 3 cable modem. From there into the Time Capsule, which acts as my wireless router. I am then hardwired to a Mac Mini and a NAS server. Everything else in the house (Macbook Pro, ATV, Roku, 2 bluray players, iPad, iPhone and 1 or 2 other things) connects wirelessly. I then have that wireless connection extended with the latest Airport Express in another room.

I have no issues on the devices connecting wirelessly on their own. The Mac Mini is always on, but I don't always actively use it. The issue comes up when I'm actively using the Mac Mini. Once I wake it up and start using it, my internet connection goes to crap by either dropping completely or slowing to a way-less-than-dialup crawl on the Mini and anything connected wirelessly. This does NOT affect non-internet connections like transfers between machines or from the NAS server; ONLY internet traffic. I have noticed one thing from looking at the logs, that whenever this happens, multiple entries appear in the Time Capsule logs that say:

Connection accepted from [fe80::3615:9eff:fe34:745e%bridge0]:51815 ((This is not from my actual log, if anyone has privacy concerns))

That number on the end is a port number, I assume, and each time this happens the entries seem to come three at a time at least with the port number increasing by 1 or 2 each time. I have seen as many as NINE of these entries in the span of one minute in the logs. The funny thing is that this also shows up on the Airport Express log and the Mini doesn't even have wireless on.

All that to say, I decoded the ipv6 address that is in every one of those log entries, and the address decodes to the MAC address of the Mac Mini! So when I'm actively using this thing, it's crashing my connection by trying to connect over and over to ever-increasing port numbers and I don't know why it would be doing this. When I'm NOT using the Mini and/or it's asleep (but it's still on and connected), all my internet connection issues on any of my other hardware are gone.

So the question is WHY? I see TONS of threads all over on Time Capsules and Airport Extremes dropping connections, but none have seemed to mention this particular issue that I've found. I have yet to try a factory reset of the TC, but it seems to me that this is somehow being caused by the Mini and not so much related to the TC. The Mini is the last model from 2010 that had an optical drive and I'm still running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. So any ideas?

2. BrentD thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I just realized something now. I tried turning off ipv6 on the Mac Mini based on some suggestions I saw in somewhat related threads. I thought that might do the trick. However, the logs are still doing the same things, but instead show the IP of my Mini now and not the ipv6 address.

BUT...I realized that every time I went back into the Airport Utility to view the logs it was creating 3 of those entries originating from the Mac Mini. Every time. 3 new entries. So that explains those entries, but does not explain why the connectivity issues only occur when using the Mac Mini now. Makes no sense. I also noted that turning off ipv6 makes accessing the manual setup and logs within Airport Utility noticeably slower.