Time Capsule Dual Band Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tofray, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Tofray macrumors regular

I just setup the dual band feature on my 2TB Time Capsule, but am having problems connecting on the 2.4ghz band. Basically, I setup the 2.4ghz band as NETWORK and the 5ghz band as NETWORK2. I setup their passwords as PASSWORD & PASSWORD2.

When I try to connect manually to the 2.4ghz band, it shows a full signal connection, but when I open facebook or safari it won't connect to any page. If I manually switch to the 5ghz network, it works instantly with no problems.

I'm trying to set it up so that all of my devices are on the 5ghz, and the rest of the family devices are on the 2.4ghz. Am I able to do that, or do all devices automatically choose which band to run on?

Thanks

2. Mongus macrumors newbie

I have had the same sort of issue with a new Airport Extreme, except the 5Ghz band is the one that wont connect to the internet. I will be intrested to see if you get any other responses.

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

You need to define the network name (SSID name) in System Preferences>Network>WiFi>Advanced>Wi-Fi>Preferred Networks. Only put NETWORK2 in your list and only put NETWORK in their list. Then it should work as you want.

Have you rebooted everything after your set up was complete ? Did "it" work before you changed stuff ? Does "it" work now with a LAN connection ?

I use the 5Ghz band for most stuff and the 2.4Ghz band only for the iPhone 4S and a WiFi camera. Like you I have 2 SSID names but I have the same WPA2 password for both. This works fine with AExtreme and AExpress units.

4. Tofray thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help.

The Time Capsule is connected to my 27" iMac, using ethernet connection (LAN). The process you laid out above works for my MacBook Air, but the family devices that I want to be on "NETWORK1" are iPhones, iPads, & Xbox. None of those devices have System Preferences, etc. On those devices, it recognizes NETWORK 1 & 2, but when I try connecting to NETWORK 1, it shows connected but doesn't work (all apps just spin as if it's looking for a connection). When I switch them to NETWORK 2, they work perfectly fine.

• My prior router was a dual band NETGEAR that also had 2.4/5Ghz bands, and both worked fine.
    • I did reboot the iMac, in addition to all the other devices and nothing seems to make NETWORK 1 work.:(
    • I misspoke about the password…both have the same password.

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

iPhone and iPad have Settings >WiFi> etc. Just put NETWORK in the Network settings and it should work. Have you already tried this ? Yes, it seems that you have - Maybe it's an issue with TC as my AEs work fine ?

Does it all work the other way round ? i.e. Their stuff on 5Ghz and yours on 2.4Ghz ?

6. Tofray thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I've tried all devices on both networks. The weird thing is that all of the devices work on the 5Ghz network, but only the MBA & iphones work on the 2.4Ghz. When I connect both iPads to the 2.4Ghz, they don't work.

Does it have anything to do with the n, or ac technology? Like maybe the 2.4Ghz is ac and the iPads are older and don't have that technology?

7. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Not sure. What settings do you use for the type of network ?
    My V2 AExpress units are set to : 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g/n (Automatic) while the V6 AExtreme setting seems to be hidden.