Time Capsule: dual WAN capable?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kot, Nov 13, 2012.

1. kot macrumors regular

Is the Time Capsule dual WAN capable?

I have two ISPs at home and I want them to failover between each other.
    I'm thinking of buying a Time Capsule because I like the idea of wireless backups, but is it dual WAN capable? Cannot find any info in the internet.

Currently I'm using TP-Link 1043 with OpenWRT.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I've seen nothing through the years of having used a Time Capsule that would lead me to believe that it can failover between two different WAN links.

You can always set the TC to join an existing wireless network. You'd be able to backup to it wirelessly, it just wouldn't be doing any routing or bridging for you.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

To add to aristobrat's post, you have the option of connecting the TC to your current router via Ethernet, configuring the TC in bridge mode, and have it able to broadcast up to two additional SSIDs (each on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectrums). Your current router would still act as DHCP server with the TC acting as a WAP.

4. kot thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the information! I'll think about it. But it seems normal NAS would be better suited for backing up data. Not sure if TM will work with third-party NASes over LAN/WLAN though.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Some NAS manufacturers support TM backups for sure. Synology makes great NAS units that work seamlessly with TM and is quick to provide updates if an Apple update breaks TM functionality. There are others that support TM as well, but Synology is highly recommended by a lot of MR users.