Time Capsule - erase data question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by belarocks, Jan 28, 2011.

1. belarocks macrumors newbie

I've upgraded by 1TB TC to a 2TB TC. I would like to sell my 1TB TC and was wondering what was the best method of removing my old backups from the hard drive. Any tips or advice would be appreciated - Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. simsaladimbamba

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Just to clarify, you cannot mount your Time Capsule's hard drive in Disk Utility to be able to format it. The only option is to use AirPort Utility as simsaladimbamba stated.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oops, it's a Time Capsule... not a regular Time Machine drive. Obviously didn't read that right the first time.

6. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

I disagree... you can use Disk utility with Time Capsule mounted on your desktop. You may have to turn some services on but it works.

7. simsaladimbamba

Can you provide the proper steps then? Or a guide on how to use Disk Utility then?

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

You can mount and format the sparsebundle image using Disk Utility, but this only deletes the data within the image and does not delete the image itself. To thoroughly erase the drive, you'll need to use AirPort Utility.

9. MiamiDan43 macrumors newbie

I'm confused

I've read the posts and most of it is over my head. I have a 1TB Time Capsule and I have lost information on it twice now. One moment it seems to be fine, and the next it is telling me to set it up again to receive backups. I've had the TC about a year now, but the farthest I can go back to restore anything is August 2010. Lately, I've been noticing that there are times when it says the backup was not successful, but right now it says the last backup was 30 minutes ago. That is just my MBP. I have my Mom's PC backing up to it as well, and the last I checked, it was unsuccessful.
    I am also using the TC as the router. The MBP and 2 printers are connected wirelessly, and the PC is hardwired. I have a1TB external HDD connected thru the USB to my MBP, but I cannot back it up and am risking losing all my data on it, and it only has 107.56 GB available left to use. I specifically connect the external this way because I am trying to prevent anyone else from being able to access any of the private things I have on it. The Time Machine Backups Info shows that it has 516.69 GB still available, but again, I do not want to back up anywhere where anyone else will have access to my private data.
    So, I guess I have two issues going on here. 1 - problems with my TC, and 2 - a safe way to secure my data on my external HDD.
    As far as I know the TC is still under warranty, but unless they can duplicate the problem, nothing can be done. I'm trying to decide what my options are. I was thinking about buying a 2TB TC, but from what I'm reading the problems I am experiencing are apparently abundant throughout TCs, and it wouldn't give me a way to secure my private things anyway. I only just read about NAS for the first time today, so I'm clueless there.
    I know I have a lot to learn and don't understand much, you people are much more knowledgeable than I. But if you don't mind helping a SLOW learner, I could use some advice.