Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christopherjac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Disregarding the internet access/router/gateway part of the Time Capsule for a moment, what is supposed to happen when you plug a time capsule directly into a Mac via ethernet cable?

- Does a dialog box come up?
- Are you supposed to be able to see the disk in the Finder?
- Is Time Machine supposed to see it?

Mine does nothing when I plug it in using a known-good cable. Suspect bad ethernet port on Time Capsule itself (because it also doesn't realize the cable is plugged in to an upstream DSL modem, either) - wondering what the expected behavior of a properly working one is?

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Are you connecting the cable to your Time Capsule's WAN or LAN port? To make it work with another modem/router, it should be plugged into the WAN port. And to make it work with a Mac/PC, it should be connected to the LAN port and directly to the computer. If everything is working properly, it should show up in the left pane of your Finder window, and once you choose to connect it should ask for password and mount itself. Once it's connected, Time Machine will be able to see it, yes.

Can you see the Time Capsule with AirPort Utility? If not, then yes either the cable or the port is faulty. Try a different cable to rule that out first. Also try a restart/reset of the Time Capsule (hold the recessed button on the back for 1 second to restart, 5 to reset).

christopherjac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Are you connecting the cable to your Time Capsule's WAN or LAN port? To make it work with another modem/router, it should be plugged into the WAN port. And to make it work with a Mac/PC, it should be connected to the LAN port and directly to the computer.

Yes, understood. I've actually tried it with multiple known-good cables, and tried both the WAN and LAN ports.

When trying to behave as as standalone router, Time Capsule reports that there is nothing plugged into the WAN side (there is) and cannot get an IP or provide internet access.

When plugged directly into my Mac (same as above, multiple known good cables) it cannot be seen by Finder or Airport Utility.

And yet the wireless end of it works just fine, I can add it as a device on an existing 802.11b network just fine and backup to it.

Thus my suspicion that the ethernet ports are no good... I was hoping to find a bulletproof evidence of that, something really obvious, like if it was working, it would throw up a dialog box or something when connected directly to Mac via ethernet.

For a more thorough description of my home network and suspicions of the problem, see this thread:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1489906&tstart=0

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Well it seems like it is infact a fault with your Time Capsule. It sounds to me like you've attacked this problem from every possible angle you possibly could. If it's still covered, I'd call AppleCare or take it in to an Apple store and have them look at it. It's unfortunate, but it seems like you got a lemon. Best of luck!

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Yes, understood. I've actually tried it with multiple known-good cables, and tried both the WAN and LAN ports.

When trying to behave as as standalone router, Time Capsule reports that there is nothing plugged into the WAN side (there is) and cannot get an IP or provide internet access.

When plugged directly into my Mac (same as above, multiple known good cables) it cannot be seen by Finder or Airport Utility.

And yet the wireless end of it works just fine, I can add it as a device on an existing 802.11b network just fine and backup to it.

Thus my suspicion that the ethernet ports are no good... I was hoping to find a bulletproof evidence of that, something really obvious, like if it was working, it would throw up a dialog box or something when connected directly to Mac via ethernet.

For a more thorough description of my home network and suspicions of the problem, see this thread:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1489906&tstart=0

When the Time Capsule is set up for wireless you can't just plug it into your Mac via Ethernet and it works, you have to configure it first to use it via Ethernet. (You may have to first press the reset button if you don't see it listed in Finder or the Airport setup assistant). First plug it into the WAN port (not the one that your cable modem plugs into) and go through the setup assistant and it will show a message saying nothing is plugged into the LAN port, ignore it.
Continue with the setup assistant and choose the option that says that you want to connect via Ethernet and hit the update button and it will work. One note, the amber light will flash since nothing is connected to the LAN but it will still work. You can turn off the light in Airport setup assistant.

Sometimes going back to wireless is tricky and you may have to press the reset button to set it up again.

nielssiem

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Disregarding the internet access/router/gateway part of the Time Capsule for a moment, what is supposed to happen when you plug a time capsule directly into a Mac via ethernet cable?

- Does a dialog box come up?
- Are you supposed to be able to see the disk in the Finder?
- Is Time Machine supposed to see it?

Mine does nothing when I plug it in using a known-good cable. Suspect bad ethernet port on Time Capsule itself (because it also doesn't realize the cable is plugged in to an upstream DSL modem, either) - wondering what the expected behavior of a properly working one is?

I have identical problems. I suspect bad ethernet ports on my TC. Do you already have a solution?

flowdesigner

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
Me to, Im strugling with this.
I just want to use my time capsule as a regular hard drive, but it does not show up in finder

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.