Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Portugal
Hello, i have a time capsule, witch went to warranty yesterday due to disk failure, and i want to add some extra storage to my homenetwork, so i was thinking about those WD My Book with ethernet connection, is it possible to connect the external HD to the time capsule with ethernet? or does it only recognises it with USB?
another thing that this might not be the proper place to ask is, is it possible to have a itunes library in the external HD( i know this i can) and be able to be more then 1 client connected, something like shared files that u can do with the NAS with itunes server

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Yes and yes.

The hard drive itself should manage how clients connect and will just be viewed as another client by the Time Capsule. For example, the Time Capsule will give the NAS an IP address and clients will connect to that NAS using that IP address. The Time Capsule doesn't have to act as a fileserver like it would when you connect a USB HDD.

As for your second question, I have a D-Link DNS-323 connected to my AEBS and have my iTunes library stored on it with two Macs using the same library. Just create an alias on each Mac pointing to the iTunes folder on the NAS. Anytime you start up iTunes, the NAS is automatically mounted on your desktop and iTunes gets full access to the library. I haven't tried it personally, but I think more than one computer can access the same NAS stored iTunes library simultaneously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.