Time Capsule - Expand Ports?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PTVMan, Jan 6, 2016.

1. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

I have a new 1TB Time Capsule that will be located near my home theater setup. We're having 1G fiber internet installed later this month and I want to be able to run Ethernet cables to all of my home theater equipment - receiver, Apple TV, Fire TV, Oppo Blu Ray and 4K TV. The Time Capsule has only 3 ports but I need 5 for my home theater. How can I expand for more ports? Can I use my previous Time Capsule somehow just for its ports and not for Time Machine backups? If so how? Or is there a cheap port expander that I can buy?

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Apple TV will be faster on Wi-Fi and your TV may not have the processing power or port speed to justify ethernet either.

An ethernet switch or another router in bridge mode willgive you further ports. The best and most versatile option IMO would be an Airport Express to give you one more ethernet port. It will be 10/100, the same as your Apple TV and possibly the television and Blu-ray player or another device.

3. bassjunky macrumors regular

I'd get a cheap 8 port switch (10/100/1000), plug all your devices into that, then plug one of the switch's ports into your TC. Should work fine.

4. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why do you say Apple TV will be faster on wifi?

5. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

It has ac Wi-Fi which is faster than its ethernet port. There are other things such as latency that come into play but you want to cache your videos as fast a possible. Do a test and compare.