Time Capsule + External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by qwertydivit, Apr 14, 2009.

1. qwertydivit macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if you can plug an external hard drive into Time Capsule and access them both using Time Capsule's remote access feature (Back to my mac)?

2. macgrl macrumors 65816

Which timecapsule do you have? The newer one that came out it the last few months or the older one before. I believe that the newer one allows you to access it and any files stored in it via an internet connection where ever you are. I would think that this would mean that you can also get access to an external HD plugged into the timecapsule.:) You need mobileme to access the timecapsule over the internet http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB764?mco=NDQzNTU2Ng

Hope this helps :)

3. beaner454 macrumors regular

Yes you can plug in an external drive and access both the internal and the external on your network or over the internet.

It does not matter if you have the old time capsule or the new one, just make sure that you fully update your Time Capsule to the latest firmware, drivers, etc... and you'll be good to go!

4. Malten macrumors newbie

Time capsule management

Hi, I have a time capsule and i have recently manually deleted many files through time machine. After i deleted them and restarted time capsule, my available space has not changed. I must have deleted over 20 gigabytes of files. Is there a reason or solution for this, because my time capsule is running low.

5. qwertydivit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I've ben looking very seriously at a time capsule for a while, and I will be using it on a college campus, so this would mean that I could access my vast media library and other big files over the local cross-campus network, meaning I wouldn't have to lug an external hard drive around with me. Plus, seeing as I can plug in an external drive as well, it can be expanded to hold much more space than I could ever dream of using.