Time Capsule - External HD Sleeping

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KyleGP, Aug 11, 2011.

1. KyleGP macrumors member

Hi all,
    I've decided to finally make a post about this as it's beginning to really annoy me.

Basically my Time Capsule's HD spins down between backups, which is fine.

My external hard drive attached to it however, also goes to sleep. Whenever I go to access the external hard drive via the finder, I hear the hard disk spinning up out of sleep mode before I can access it. If I don't continue to access it within a few minutes, it goes to sleep again.

Is there a way to tell the Time Capsule to stop putting my external hard drive to sleep? It's really ******** me.

Cheers.

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Many, if not most, external HDs do this. I don't think it's the TC putting it to sleep. Sorry I do not know of a way to change the behavior. Just to see, you could try temporarily attaching it directly to your Mac, and see if it still goes to sleep in the same amount of time.

3. p17blo macrumors newbie

I'm having exactly the same issue as this drive is where my itunes media is stored.

When I want to access information or play item in itunes it take up to 30 seconds to spin up and start, however this itunes also drives my Apple TV 2 and this just won't play, it just hangs and all of the cover art etc is blank.

So annoying.

Let me know if you have a chance to connect locally. The only reason I am using the the TC to drive this is a lack of USB ports on my machine. It would be easier if I can leave things as they are.

Paul