Time Capsule failure - recommendations for new one?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oxgoldilox, Aug 21, 2012.

1. oxgoldilox macrumors newbie

My 2 years young Time Capsule died peacefully overnight some weeks back and having lost complete faith in TCs I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for external hard drives to back up my macs to?

I'm after 500GB-1TB mostly to store photos to free up my ageing iMac's hard drive. And I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

Many thanks.

2. eric44 macrumors member

Mine died too.
    I was concened about buying another one given heat and reliability issues.
    I bought an airport extreme and attached a Synology DS212 NAS to it via ethernet.
    Total cost £530 for a twin 2TB drive solution with router so not cheap.
    Works very well though, the NAS is very quiet and cool so the drives have a better chance of a long life...

3. goy091 macrumors newbie

I'm running a Synology DS209J (2009 model) 2 bay NAS with 2x 2TB HDD's in RAID 1. You can run Time Machine on the NAS, as well as a whole host of apps for your i-devices to control/use the NAS.

I'd recommend a DS212J, the 2012 model, they also have a DS212 and DS212+ which are faster but more expensive. These are 2 bay models, but you can start off only using one HDD and add a second one for redundancy or additional storage. They also make, 1, 4, 15 etc. bay models.

I use Time Machine on the Disk Station to backup my Macs, as well as store all my mp3's, videos, pics and program images. I also stream mp3's and movies to my ipad, iphone and MBA while I'm on the go using the Synology apps in the app store.

I also use an Asus RT-N56U dual band router while at home. Makes backing up to the Disk Station faster using a 5GHz N wireless since my MBA has a 5GHz N wifi capability.

Here's a nice blog by someone using a Mac and Synology DS.
    http://macsynology.wordpress.com/

If you're purely looking for just an external HDD, I've had success using the WD my book series on other family members Macs.

4. oxgoldilox thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies guys. All helps towards making a decision. :cool:

5. nsfw macrumors regular

The 2011 Time Capsule is a lot better and I noticed the 2TB model is $184 at Bestbuy.com refurbished. Probably a limited discount price.

6. mikepro macrumors 6502

FYI, if you happen to have Applecare coverage on a current mac product, it will likely extend coverage to your Time Capsule. If you do, you may get Apple to replace it for free.