Time Capsule for OSX Backups AND Windows 7 NAS???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CrackerJackToy, Dec 17, 2012.

1. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

Ive searched & searched. Currently I have a 2 TB Time Capsule on the way to my house from B&H. What im looking to do with the Time Capsule is fairly simple, however I cant get a clean & cut answer to whether this will work or not.

I would like to backup my 2012 Macbook Air to the Time Capsule but this laptop will rarely see much data. I have the 128 GB model and use it primarily for school & small documents.

The main reason why I chose a Time Capsule is to use it as a NAS, and potentially back up my photos, music, and documents from my Windows 7 laptop to the Time Capsule. I may even create backup images of my current Windows 7 computer and throw it on the time capsule as well. All in all, I have a total of maybe 350GB of data between the two laptops.

Did I make the right decision? Is the Time Capsule going to do what I need it too here? In the end, im looking to just drag n drop to the Time Capsule from my Windows 7 computer, not to be confused with backing up directly to the TC.

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Time Capsule is really not an ideal NAS, its more of one trick pony - used for TimeMachine backups.

Other NAS devices offer a more generalized and more flexibility in using it. That is if you wanted to use it for Win7, then Time Capsule may not have been the best choice - sorry. Apple equipment works great when integrated into the apple ecosystem, but veer away from that and well its not as powerful as other products that offer more features

3. CrackerJackToy thread starter macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

I do have a nice Apple ecosystem, however I do not use my Mac as much as my PC. The reason why I upgraded was because it was only $100 more over the Airport Extreme. I recently needed a new router and picked up the AE from Apple. I LOVE it! But I started thinking how the TC was only $105 more so I might as well upgrade & get possible NAS storage.

Is this confirmed, that you can not combine drag n drop storage from a Win7 computer and backup your Mac to the same TC, or just an educated guess? Thanks! :D