Time Capsule for remote (Internet) backing up?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jimmyco2008, Oct 26, 2014.

1. jimmyco2008 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I'm considering a Time Capsule for backing up a Mac that's always at home, and a Mac that's rarely at home.

Keeping in mind that my ISP does NOT block any ports, can I securely have a Time Capsule available for backing up whenever this "away" Mac is on the Internet? I know I can VPN in, but ideally I'd like for the TC to just "show up" when I'm on the Internet, like it would if I was on the local network.

Is this possible with Back to My Mac? Perhaps more importantly, is this practical? I know that backing up over the Internet (~50mbps) is slower than over WiFi (~1300mbps). Is there anything else I should know? Does anyone have this setup? How's it working out?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Backing up over the Internet is not recommended and is rather insecure. I recommend that you look at something like Google Drive for storage and backup on the go and using Time Machine when you come home with the Mac to the Time Capsule.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

That's what Apple officially states. And I believe, with a reason.
    Because of the complex intricacies of how TM builds and maintains it's network backups, you run the risk of ruining your backup filesystem (should connection drop) and if that happens, you almost surely look at 100% loss of your backup history and must start anew.
    Of course, if you happen to have time and resources, you could run a PoC setup and teach me (and us) otherwise.