Time capsule freezes system with time machine......:(

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gloor, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hi all,
    I recently bought time capsule so I can have wireless (and external) backups. I turned time machine on with time capsule selected and it froze after about 40gb (halfway). So, I ran disk utility, reformated time capsule and reseted it. Started again and it froze the system at about 2gb. All those freezes forced me to do hard restart. I went to apple store and asked for replacement as that is what was suggested by apple care. The new unit seemed to be fine and it looked like its working flawlessly until today when I switched it the back up again and it froze after few gigs. (again, didn't finish the complete backup 85gb). Now, I'm thinking of returning it and give up on it but I would still like to have a wireless external back up. Any idea how I could fix the damn time machine so it works "out of the box" ?
    Sometimes, the system freezes but I can still use some application after about 10 minutes when it unfrozes itself. But total froze usually comes later forcing me to do hard restart anyway.

Any help please? This is getting really frustrating.

I have mac pro early 2008 with 8gb ram and every updates on.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Have you tried doing the initial back up wired and then doing the incremental backups wirelessly after that?

3. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

how do i make it wired? do i need a special cable for it? How do i set it up?

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

5. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok,backing up now through the cable so lets so how that one goes :)

6. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok UPDATE:

left the backup over night with using cable.
    Woke up in the morning and the back up was 242GB out of 244GB complete. Went to brush my teeth and when I came back the window was showing "backing up 1889 files (or something like that) with 3.6MB out of 3.6MB" and it was stuck on that so I left it there for about 8 hours. When I came back from work, it was still stuck so I realized that the system was half froze (some things worked - like expose etc but it sometimes took around 5-10 minutes to proceed.)
    I am a bit fed up with it as Mac Pro with 8 cores and 8GB ram shouldn't have this kinda problem or at least I wouldn't expect it nor I would expect the damn time machine to freeze over the cable too. Anyone has an Idea for a fix? This is really frustrating and if I don't find a solution soon then bye bye time capsule. Refund it will be :(