Time Capsule Full

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ntn001, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ntn001 macrumors newbie

My time Capsule is full of old accounts and computers and I want to backup my macbook pro but don't know the best way to go about it. I run a small business network and the time capsule backs up 3 iMacs and one mac mini.

My mbp has a new harddrive and new profile (ie the home folder's name has been changed) but a lot of old data on the TC is the same as the mbp - so I don't want to delete it.

Can anyone advise please? Don't want to make a mistake that proves foolish later.

Thanks in advance.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

You can connect an external USB HDD to the Time Capsule and use that for new backups. This keeps the backups currently on the TC intact and allows room for expansion.

3. ntn001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for help

Thanks for the advice. I've done that and now have two (almost) full 2TB HDD connected to one another. But, I cannot backup my MBP because there is no room (didn't really think of that before). Is there anyway of deleting one account on the Time Capsule without erasing the whole machine? Sorry if this seems basic, but I'm a new Mac devotee and went all-in before I learnt how best to set things up.

4. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

You can delete all backups that the Time Capsule has of a specific file or directory by going into the Time Machine interface, right-clicking the file/directory, and selecting Delete all backups of "xxx".

For example, if you want to delete all backups of the home folder of user "Davy" on machine iMac3:

• Log onto iMac3 with any account.
    • Open a Finder window and navigate to the User directory at the root of your boot drive (e.g., mine is "iMac Drive/Users").
    • Enter Time Machine.
    • Now in the TM interface, right-click on the "Davy" home folder and select Delete all backups of "Davy".
    • Enter admin userid and password (if you're not logged in as one).

5. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

maybe a silly question, but using a usb splitter can you add more than one HDD or a HDD and a printer?

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

There is also another way of doing this. You can mount the Time Capsule in Finder and navigate to the folder where all of the sparsebundle files are kept. You can delete individual sparsebundle files, and as they are named uniquely depending on the machine, you should be able to select the correct backup to delete.

Not splitter, hub. And yes you can. You can add multiple printers and HDDs. You're not limited to just one of either.

7. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

yeah thats what i meant ^.^

thats good to know, i just bought mine... £130 for a 1TB one! BARGIN

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

Great to hear :) I hope I didn't come across as anal retentive, just wanted to make sure you weren't getting the wrong product.

Another thing to keep in mind with the TC's print server, it will only share the printing features of a multifunction printer. For example, if your printer has a scanner/faxing capabilities, you can only use it to print if connected to the TC using the USB port.

If you want to share a multifunction printer, make sure it's a network printer and connect it using either WiFi or Ethernet cable.

9. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

naa its just a big bulky HP Colour Laserjet 1600, which ive spent a few month trying to get working on the mac (I WON! haha)