time capsule guest network not connectable

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sturgeon boy, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Sturgeon boy macrumors member

Sturgeon boy

ive set up my new 3tb time capsule for a guest network but can't seem to connect to it my primary wifi network through the t/c works perfectly I'm with sky broadband so I've turned the wifi off on the sky router then ethernet cabled it to the t/c then ethernet cabled it to my iMac do i have it set up wrong ?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You have to put your sky router into gateway or bridge mode. Turning its wifi off isn't enough.

3. Sturgeon boy thread starter macrumors member

Sturgeon boy

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

You need the master password to the Sky router to get into the settings (Google the model number of the router). In the settings look for the bridge move toggle.

5. Sturgeon boy thread starter macrumors member

Sturgeon boy

the router is a sagemcom f@st2304 I've googled it, read posts, checked through all the tabs and settings on the router but still can't find how to put it into bridged mode

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Read the documentation, and/or check out the documentation on the manufacturer's site. Each router has a different way of handling this. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer. They should have some support articles.

7. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

deleted

8. Sturgeon boy thread starter macrumors member

Sturgeon boy

got this reply from sagemcom today
    Hello
    It is impossible with your product because the Fast2304 is locked for Sky and you can’t change the initial setting ( IPoE ).
    Best regard

is that the end of the line then so no guest network for me ?

9. priitv8 macrumors 68020

That's the end of the line. Unless you can live with double-NAT. You can give it a try and if you see it'll impact your connectivity to Internet badly, you need to switch your TimeCapsule back to Bridge Mode, thus giving up the Guest network.

10. Sturgeon boy thread starter macrumors member

Sturgeon boy

well i went into the settings on the time capsule to turn off the guest network and found that the bridge mode on the capsule was turned off, so i turned it on and let it update itself and what do you know both my own and the guest network work fine, i did get a warning about double nat what ever that is but once i ok,d it all seems fine

11. priitv8 macrumors 68020

NAT stands for Network Address Translation.
    Now you have 2 devices in sequence, that translate 1 external IP address to many internal IP addresses.
    NAT is used, because normally your ISP will issue you just 1 public IP address (for regular home use). Now, if you have 2 or more computers at home that would like to connect to Internet - you're in trouble : you have just one address from your ISP. And the IP addresses need to be unique across all Internet, by definition. So your 2 devices can't share this address (at least use it concurrently).
    That's where NAT comes in handy - it will share that 1 IP address between all your home equipment. That's also the reason your home computers get all very different IP addresses (usually in the form of 10.0.x.x or 192.168.x.x) from the one ISP assigned you.
    Obviously, all your Internet partners outside will see all your connections coming from your public (ie ISP-assigned) address, not the NAT'd inside address (like 192.168.x.x).

12. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

Been running Double NAT on several Airports w/ no issues to speak of. I have many devices connecting to the guest network, hence guest network, of many types running Android, OSx, OS, Windows.

You can always give it a go an see how it works out. If it causes problems than switch it back.

13. Sturgeon boy thread starter macrumors member

Sturgeon boy

i only have my imac hard wired to the t/c the other wireless items are 2 iphones an ipad and my apple TV all seem to be working fine.
    the only thing ive noticed is sometimes the wireless signal switches between guest and normal wifi on its own there doesn't seem to be any difference in performance so i've just left it alone.