Time Capsule Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ebev1234, Oct 11, 2013.

1. ebev1234 macrumors newbie

I have a 3 year old time capsule and would like to put a new 3 TB hard drive in. Can anyone help me with a name and make of good hard drive that would work with the time capsule? I was suggested the Seagate Barracuda XT 3 Tb but I am reading it is not Mac compatible.
    Thanks Emil

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

How could any standard SATA drive not be Mac compatible?
    TC-s used to contain Hitachi "server grade" drives a while ago. But you can go with any standard drive that fits your manufacturer preference and budget.
    You just need to partition it to GUID scheme and format to HFS+ Journaled filesystem on a Mac before attempting to use it in a TC.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I put a Seagate - Barracuda 3 TB Internal Hard Drive in my older time capsule about 4 months ago. Works just fine. I didn't do anything to it beside take it out of the box and install. The TC will format the drive how it likes.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Alright! Good to know!

5. 1934hotrod macrumors regular

1934hotrod

What is the first gen. airport router that has the option for an internal HD to be mounted?

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

None of the AirPort routers accept internal drives. Only TimeCapsules do.
    All 802.11n AP Extremes since Early 2007 can handle USB external drive.

7. g4cube macrumors 6502a

This is a myth, regarding server grade drives. In the many tear-down reports, ordinary desktop drives were used in the Time Capsules. The only info of note is that they were co-branded with Apple and either Seagate, WD, or Hitachi. And usually had Apple specific firmware.

Compatibility issues with different SATA drives usually are related to firmware.

You are correct, that most any SATA drive should work, but sometimes don't due to firmware issues.

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

That's why I put quotes around "server grade".